The meaning of a.m. and p.m.
The abbreviations come from Latin and mean:
A.m. – ante meridian – before noon
p.m. – post meridian – afternoon
Germany uses the 24-hour system. In countries like Canada, the USA, and other English-speaking countries, the 12-hour system.
The day is divided into two halves of 12 hours each.
a.m. stands for the period from midnight to morning and p.m. for the afternoon.
a.m.: midnight (0:00) to noon (12:00)
p.m.: noon to midnight (24:00)
These statistics show that the analog or digital display is a decisive criterion when buying a wristwatch.
An analog display eliminates annoying conversions from the 24 to 12-hour system.
The alphabet: In the German alphabet, the letter p comes after a. So p.m. is behind in time.
You also remember AM like this: AM stands for “morning” and thus for the period from 00:00 to 12:00.
PM can be remembered by thinking of PM = Past Midday (afternoon).
Times: noon (am, pm) and 24-hour formats – computer
- While most countries prefer the 24-hour format, in English-speaking countries and Latin America, the 12-hour format is the most common, twice a day at midnight and midday.
- To differentiate, an am (ante meridian, Latin for before noon, morning) or a pm (post meridian, Latin for the afternoon) is added.
- The 12-hour format starts at midnight at 12:00 a.m., one hour later, it is 1:00 a.m.
- 12:00 p.m. is noon, followed by 1:00 p.m., and the last minute of the day is at 11:59 p.m. There is no 0:00.
- In the 24-hour format, the day starts at midnight, noon is noon, and the day ends at 11:59 p.m. There is no midnight.
Is noon 12 a.m. or 12 p.m.?
- Noon and midnight are cases where logically, the time and time do not stick to what they mean, e.g., Ante Meridian and Post Meridian.
- As suggested in other replies, 12 p.m. and 12 pm-midnight are used to avoid confusion.
- However, the convention is that midnight means noon after 23:59:59, so the day starts in the morning.
- In other words, the date on the calendar changes at midnight, and that time is midnight.
- We can use a different system like that used in the military, the 24-hour clock.
- The beginning of the day (noon or midnight) is indicated as 0000 and ends at 2359 (corresponds to 23:59).
- So the hour after noon is indicated by numbers from which we subtract 1200 to get the hour based on 12 hours.
- Note: for times between 12:00 and 13:00 (except 13:00)
- With the 24 hour time, 1200 does not need to be subtracted to get the 12 hour time. From 12:00 to 1:00 (except 1:00), we need to add 12 hours to change from 24-hour clock to 12-hour clock.
- It isn’t effortless, but that’s the way it is.
- Remembering the calendar thing can help, e.g., H. The date changes, and the day starts. So 12 is midnight.
When do you put AM and PM?
- AM is the acronym of Ante Meridian, which means before noon and indicates any time between midnight and one second before noon.
- PM is the acronym for Post Meridian, which means afternoon and indicates any time between noon and one second before midnight.
What time is 12 p.m.?
- The opposite word indicates the remaining hours of the day and is Ante meridian.
- This expression is used in the Anglo-Saxon states to tell the time.
- With the clarification that the 12: 00 PM are the noon while 12: 00 AM are the midnight.
Also Read: Medieval Military Ranks – Parts, Organization, Care, Strategy, and more